Thursday, March 21, 2013

Confession Worthy

Last night's radio interview and book signing at the World Famous Tiki Bar at The Postcard Inn - which we will forever know as Holiday Isle - was so much fun it was confession-worthy.

The fun began when I schlepped into the seaside, outdoor, dumpy bar in a full nun's habit.  I received some strange looks and interesting stares.  I pretended not to notice and went about finding Joey Naples, the radio host, while Dougie ordered drinks.  As soon as he handed me a draft beer, a man came up with a camera and asked if I would pose for a picture with him.

"Of course, my son," I replied.

He led me across the bar where his adorable, scantily-clad girlfriend was waiting, camera in hand.  They had French accents, so as we posed, I said, "fromage" instead of cheese.  Well, let me tell you.  Mr. Picture-Wanter began rattling French off so quickly it set my habit askew.  I told him (in French) that I only spoke a little bit and asked him to slow down.  Um, yeah.  All that did was set his hormones into overdrive because he grabbed me from the side and thrust his nether regions against me and licked my neck while his girlfriend videotaped it on her cell.

"I think I need to go to Confession after that," I said, shaking his hand and walking quickly back to where Doug stood with look that was either irritation or confusion, I'm not sure which.  I didn't ask.  I threw back my $1 draft and asked for another.

It continued from there.  All in good fun!  Lots of neighbors showed up and a former restaurant GM-turned friend came by on his way back from Key West.  It made me feel good to have such tremendous support from people.  I posed for so many pictures I felt like a celebrity.  We all know I'm not, but that's what it felt like.  Even the band pulled me up on stage for a pic...I almost started dirty dancing in my habit but the look on Doug's face was like one that a Mother Superior probably wears, so I decided to keep my habit hanging to the floor, the way God intended.

The interview was fun and Joey Naples made me laugh as always.  I signed a lot more books than I expected and even traded a book for an original painting by a local artist.  Very cool!

I'm proud to have met so many fun people who appreciate a beer-drinking, habit-wearing nun who swears like a sailor.  .  . and the fact that God didn't strike me down with a lightening bolt proves He has a sense of humor much like my own.  I am a lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment