Friday, March 29, 2013

Book Banning; The Highest Form of Flattery

If there are people doing all they can to remove my book from the shelves of my hometown bookstore, then I should feel honored, right?  I mean, it must have really stirred some shit to make people do whatever they can to keep it from getting into the hands of others.  Instead of feeling angry and cheated, I feel like I've achieved something pretty fantastic.  I don't think that's the reaction they (he/she) hoped for and I'm not sorry to disappoint.

Let's start a discussion....who could hate this book so much that they would 1) call the Liftbridge (my hometown bookstore) and demand it be removed from the shelves, and 2) after being told to piss up a rope, allegedly buying all of the books in stock to prevent them from being read?

Those of you who've read the book, please leave a comment about who you think could be responsible.  Consider it nothing more than a game.  It'll stay between us and rest assured, the person(s) responsible are most likely unaware of this blog or they'd have found a way to shut it down!

Power to the people!

Okay, I know that didn't really apply but I've always wanted to say it.  It sort of applies though, because I have a right to publish whatever I want to publish.  In the same manner that people have the right to marry whomever they love, no one has the right to tell me I can't tell a story.  If that story makes them uncomfortable or angry, then perhaps they should find something else to read.

Come on!  Let's start this game.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished the book. I had to wait until Anneke let it go. I would say there are quite a few folks who might want it to disappear, but I guess my first choice would be your brother who spent time in the slammer.

    I am hoping to write a review on my blog shortly, I thought it was great! I grew up Catholic, on a farm, not thirty miles from where you grew up. Suffice it to say that none of my siblings or I are practicing Catholics:)

    Trying to get a book banned has always been a sign that it has hit its mark:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chuck! I appreciate your encouraging words of support. Unless my brother has undergone a sex change and changed his name to Jane, which is certainly within the realm of possibility, it wasn't him. The culprit gave her name as "Jane Lavell" and said she's suing for slander!!!

    I'm so pleased you and Anneke liked it!!! And I'm not surprised you and your siblings no longer practice. We are what I like to call "recovering Catholics"!

    Stay tuned as the drama continues!

    ReplyDelete