Sunday, May 12, 2013

Moms

Mom.  That's probably the greatest thing anyone has ever called me.  It surpasses every other title I've been given.  Mom.

Today is Mother's Day (yes, I already called mine to wish her a wonderful day...she didn't answer the phone but it still counts...and I sent her flowers) and I know a lot of people get all worked up about this particular day.  All of them have vaginas, by the way.  I think it's unfair to put expectations on others simply because Hallmark or the florist industry decided today is THE day to prove how much you love your Mom by; 1) buying a card, 2) sending flowers, 3) taking her to brunch and 4) catering to her every wish.

That's a bunch of crap.

I expect that every day.

That is a joke.  Honestly, just kidding.  Or JK for all you texters out there.  LOL.  I'm actually not LOLing and I don't really like when people LOL me in a text.  I never know whether to believe them.  Are they just saying it to make me feel good about myself or are they really LOLing?

Stop sidetracking me.  I was talking about Mother's Day.  JK, it's not your fault.  LOL.

As I was saying, Mother's Day is just a day.  If your husband forgets or your kids don't dedicate the entire day to you, don't feel bad.  Be happy you have them in your life and go do something that makes you happy.  Drink a beer in the sun while digging in the dirt.  Give the dog a bath in the back yard and let him get you soaking wet.  Take a nap in a hammock.  You get the idea.

As for me, I'm making homemade bagels and then heading down to the pool to do some casual laps before going with my family and nieces to our favorite seaside dump for cold beer, hot shrimp and good music.  My day is already perfect because Peanut called and we had a nice, long chat.  "I love you very much, Mom." was exactly the Mother's Day gift I'd hoped to get.  He didn't let me down.

Zak and Lauren, you both make me proud and I love you like you can't imagine.

Happy Mother's Day everyone.  Now get outside and have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment