Thursday, May 23, 2013

It You Can't Beat 'Em...

Still unable to crack the book club code, I've decided to start my own.  Yep, that's right.  I'm starting my own Book Club For Winos.  We'll meet monthly to share our thoughts about a book we've agreed to read and talk while swilling wine and devouring cheese.  Nothing too intellectual.  This is about the wine and cheese, mostly, but I have an ulterior motive.  I always do.

I'm going to advertise this new club on Meetup.com, which I stalk daily.  I contact three per day (that's the max the site will allow) to recommend my book to book clubs across the country.  None have taken the bait, but I'm trying to keep a stiff upper lip.

Here's how I see this playing out.  Some independent author like me will contact us and ask us to read their book.  Bingo!  That's when a little quid pro quo comes into play.  You read mine, I read yours, we give each other Amazon and Goodreads reviews.  This sort of thing happens all day long among the independent author pool because without publishing houses to back us, we are without marketing assistance.  We rely on reviews and support from other self-publishers to get the word out.

Am I a jerk?  Well, we know I'm a jerk, but does this approach to marketing make me a bigger one?

No comments:

Post a Comment