Monday, December 17, 2012

Scam

I realized that if I'm going to really market/sell the book, I simply have to produce some paperbacks because there are those of you who will never, no matter what, read an e-book.  I feel you.  I resisted the e-reader craze for years but caved about six months ago when Lauren and I were preparing to walk across England.  We both love to read but with the huge amount of stuff we had to carry on our backs each day, it didn't make sense to add the weight of books to our packs.  An e-reader was a no-brainer.

I'll be honest and admit I love the feel of a book in my hands.  I love the turn of a page, I dog-ear mine, and sometimes make notes in the margins.  I love the smell and feel of a traditional book and never imagined I could enjoy reading from a Kindle or a Nook.  I was wrong.  It's not the same experience as a traditional book, but its wonderful in a different sort of way.  I'll leave it to you to figure out.

Last week I began the long and tedious process of converting the e-book file of "Confessions" to the specifications for a file Amazon.com requires to produce a paperback book.  A colonoscopy might be more pleasant.  It's more than adjusting margins and line spacing, it requires specific formatting PER PARAGRAPH and it can't be done with a mark all sort of function.  It's painful and frustrating to the say the very least.

However, for those without the time and/or patience, Amazon's staff of wonderful editing elves will convert the file for me.  It will only cost a mere $245.  Really?  I'm sure they have an automated process that takes the e-book file, runs it through a macro and poof!  The paperback file is perfect, meeting their specifications to the T in less than five minutes.  I refuse to succumb to their scam and will plod on, converting this file word by word.

It's not that I'm cheap, it's a matter of principle.  Amazon is already taking their cut on the profit of sales from my book, why should I pay them more to convert the damn file?  The rat bastards are gonna charge me to produce, stock and deliver the paperback, gouging into my meager profits again.  I'll be damned if I give them another red cent.

Can you tell they've struck a nerve?

Oh well, 'tis the season for remembering how blessed we are and I truly am.  This exercise is simply a little learning experience and I'll get through it.  I do tell myself each day how fortunate I am to be able to do something I love on an island in the middle of paradise.  My family is healthy and happy, my children make me proud and my husband spoils me.  I couldn't ask for anything more.

To my friends and family who've already purchased the book, I sincerely thank you for your support.  It means more than you know.  To those who don't know what book I'm referring to, feel free to stream audio this Friday at 6pm from www.SUN103.com.  I'm lucky enough to be a guest on Capt Bill Kelly's live radio show for a ten minute segment to promote "Confessions".

I promised to get a paperback out to you, so back to the editing I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment