Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Whew!

I know. I said that I'd never do it, but I did. I edited "Confessions of a Catholic School Dropout" and I'm soooo glad that I did. It was crappy. Why didn't you guys tell me that? You're too nice. I cringe at the memories of what I originally wrote. Do real writers suffer from this affliction, too? How do they get anything done?

Anywho, I edited the whole dang thing and released it again. The ebook that is currently available on Amazon is the updated version. The paperback version is still being vetted by Amazon, but it should be up and ready to go tomorrow morning. Smashwords (from which you can get the Nook, iPad, Sony and PDF versions) is still working on the ebook version and I don't know when it'll be done.

I spent upwards of eight hours a day for the past four days formatting, reformatting, and screaming at my computer. I followed painfully complicated instructions to ensure that my file complied with each platform's formatting requirements. It's a conspiracy! No one uses the same format. In fact, they've worked very hard to ensure that their requirements are nothing alike. The rat bastards.

No matter. It's behind me now... until I get another bug up my butt and decide to edit again.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not on my high horse and claiming that "Confessions" is perfectly written. It's not. I'm far from a perfect writer. It's better and that's good enough for now. There are chapters that I wish I hadn't published. I don't like them anymore. (Juvenile Delinquents...the graveyard debacle is one.) There are others that I scrapped and now wished had been included. Where was Elizabeth when these decisions needed to be made?!?

I think it's best to put it away and forget it about it for now. I have other projects that are screaming for attention.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I do not have the mental stamina for that kind of detail work:( I would find excuses to avoid it, like looking for a new wine I have not tried yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love honesty. Turns out it's more fun AFTER I've tried a new wine.

    ReplyDelete