Friday, August 8, 2014

Dont Get Too Close

What in God's name is going on?  I've experienced the craziest things lately.  Here's the latest:

I continue to try to put my books into the hands of book clubs.  I'm convinced that they are my vehicle for making this writing hobby into something a bit more.  Call me crazy.  You wouldn't be the first.  Given the events over the past couple of weeks, I'd wager that you won't be the last.

Two days ago, I sent my standard reach-out blurb/book recommendation to a book club in Austin.  (I contact every book club in one particular region and then move on to another.)  This particular club only accepts gay men. So far, so good.  I emailed the organizer and went on with my day.  Typically, one of three things happen after I send such an email; 1) no response (most common); 2) thanks, but no thanks; or 3) yes, we are interested (rare).  Not this time.

I received a scathing email from the book club's organizer. After receiving my email, he said he was intrigued. He bought "Fat Chance" and downloaded it to his Kindle.  He said it was the "most filthy book" he's ever read.  That left me scratching my head.  I think there are a couple of Judy Blume books with more filth than "Fat Chance".

He was particularly offended by the "gay scene" because "that's not how lesbians behave".  I took exception to both of those comments.  Firstly, there is not a "gay scene" in the book.  A group of Islamorada ladies head to Key West for a girl's weekend and things get a little crazy.  While it's true that two of the women do wake up naked in the same bed together, and one of them is a self-proclaimed woman lover, there is not a "scene".  The details are left to the reader's imagination.  Secondly, how would one gay man know how all gay women act?  Am I to believe that simply because he's a gay man, he's able to understand and perfectly predict the behavior of all gay women?  Please.  A man can't predict the behavior of anything that owns a vagina, regardless of her sexual preference. 

He went on to say that I can look forward to horrendous reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, and Facebook. In addition, he's alerted all of the people in his circle to stay away from anything I write.

Well.  Now then.  

What's next?  A plague of locusts?





3 comments:

  1. Maybe your next book can be about all the crazies you meet along the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats one guy with way too much time on his hands. Doubt he does any of that. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stick at it Pattie - I love your writing.

    :)

    ReplyDelete