Friday, August 1, 2014

Life Lessons

This week has been an eye-opener.  The drama and craziness of the past few days bring several cliches and phrases to mind:

- You're never too old to learn.

- Discretion is the better part of valor.

- Be careful what you wish for.

- If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent may we be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- Never trust a fart.

That last one shouldn't be overlooked.  Its a doozie.

I continue to be amazed by the number of people who say I should have known better than to post my opinions on social media.  Some said you just can't do that.

Before I go any further, let me firmly establish that I'm speaking of true friends and people I love.  (Except for the Academy Award winning former coworker.  There is no love there.)  We don't always agree, but that doesn't change our friendship.  Please don't interpret this post as a dump on those of you who've reached out to share your thoughts.  This post is just another blabbering of my observations, so don't get your panties in a bunch.

As I was saying, some people said you just can't write stuff like that.  I am shaking my head over that notion. Why the hell not?  This isn't Russia.  (Sorry Anastasia.)  There's a difference between "you can't write that" and "if you write that, be prepared to accept the consequences".  I believe in the latter.

(Also, I believe in ladders.  They sure do come in handy.)

The idea that I can't use this space to voice my opinions, vent, and be sarcastic about life in general is a bunch of malarkey.  What in tarnation is this world coming to when average Joes like myself can't do a little public venting?  I've been censored before, do you remember?  Two crazy women tried to get "Confessions of a Catholic School Dropout" banned from the Liftbridge Bookstore in Brockport, NY.  (Turns out those two crazies were cousins.  My family tree is full of nuts.)  Their efforts backfired, of course, because nothing boosts book sales like an attempted banning!

Now that I'm unemployed, I have more time to write.  I've added several pages to my next novel since the college prez read Tuesday's blog post.  I don't want to ruin the surprise, but one or more members of the almighty administration make a brief appearance.  It wasn't planned; it just happened.  Turns out that particular chapter was fun to write.  Very cathartic.  Daphne Schneider would have approved.




3 comments: