Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Book Title

I sat under our tiki hut last night brainstorming about a title for the third novel.  Actually, what I was doing probably can't be called "brainstorming".  Webster's defines the word thusly:

"a group problem-solving technique that involves the spontaneous contribution of ideas from all members of the group"

I was alone, not a member of a group. Unless, perhaps I have multiple personalities and those count.  I'm sure if you were to ask some of the people that I dealt with last week, they would tell you there are at least two different Patti's living in this body.  (We all know my backside is big enough for two people.)

Whether I was brainstorming or thinking, I didn't get very far with the new title.  I better recruit some new group members or develop some more creative personalities.

The title for "Fat Chance" hit me right in the face while I sat in the Keys Shuttle on my way to the airport.  I didn't bother to google the name and it wouldn't have mattered if I did.  It was perfect for what I wanted. Turns out there are lots people who must have had the same experience, because there are a wheel barrow-full of books with that title.  It's okay.  I still love the name.

The third novel is set in the Keys during mini season.  For those of you who don't know, mini season is a two day event in late July (it was last wed/thurs) when people can harvest legal-sized lobsters before the commercial season opens.  Ghouls from the mainland flock to the Keys.  They rape our waters and leave behind their trash.  I don't know of a single local who can honestly say that they enjoy mini season.  Traffic is horrendous, the "lobster people" are notoriously bad tippers and rude boaters, and most of us stay home until it's over.

The story has a little humor (the kind I like), drugs, drinking, crime, sex, and human trafficking.  I can't say more than that without giving away too much.  Not exactly sure how things will play out.  I never know until they happen.  I think I'm about 150 pages in, but I've no idea what will happen next.  Seems to be the only way I write.  (Sounds like how I do most things.)

I kicked around "Tropical Disturbance" and "Tropical Illusion".  I canned "Dumping Grounds".

Hopefully, something will come to me.  Feel free to send your suggestions.  I know it's difficult without knowing more about the plot, but any and all suggestions will be met with sarcasm first, appreciation second.

How you guys making out with those voodoo dolls?

2 comments:

  1. Lobster mobster? Probation vacation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a regular Dr. Seuss, my friend! Thanks for the very creative suggestions!

    ReplyDelete