Monday, June 3, 2013

So This Is Writer's Block

I didn't think it was real, I thought people were being overly dramatic when they claimed to suffer from "writer's block".  I didn't believe in it.  But I'm beginning to wonder.  Is there a doctor in the house?  I need a diagnosis.

There are other things people claim to have that I don't believe in.  PMS for one.  Don't buy it.  You're just in a bitchy mood and drank too much last night.  It's not a medical condition.  Menopause for another.  Don't buy it.  These are the same women who used to suffer from PMS.  Lazy eye.  Don't buy it.  Snap out of it.

Writer's block sounds like another way of saying "boredom".  What I'm experiencing is simply that I don't like what I'm writing about.  It's not a block, it's just boring.  I've never had this happen, so I'm not sure how long it will last.  Until about four days ago, I enjoyed what I was writing about.  Then...well, now I don't.  It doesn't seem worthy of working on, let alone publishing.

I'll just put it aside on work on something else.  I return to the corporate world of finance tomorrow.  I decided I needed to do something that required the use of more than three brain cells.  The perpetual happy hour that is life in the Keys was threatening to turn my brain to mush.  I can't afford to let that happen; I have too many kick-ass things to do.  So back to the board room I go.  Hopefully, it doesn't become a bored room.

A full-time finance job won't leave a lot of time for writing, but I think that might be just the kick in the ass I need.  All those ideas will run around my brain while I'm analyzing numbers and performing audits eight hours a day, and when I get home, I'll have to plop down at my desk to let them out.  You know what happens to people who don't take the time to put ideas down on paper, right?  You don't?  Well, let me tell you.  They start to think they have PMS.  One eye starts to wander in a different direction from the other.  You see?  All of these "conditions" are easily remedied.  Writing cures all.

I'm convinced it's boredom rather than writer's block or else I wouldn't be writing, now would I?

You know what else I don't believe in?  White people who think they're black.  That people actually eat marshmallow Peeps.  Tea totalers.


No comments:

Post a Comment