Saturday, April 4, 2015

I Never Knew

During a conversation in which I did all of the listening and none of the talking (common in this neighborhood), an older woman scoffed at the idea of blogging. She said it was "stupid" and "a waste of time". I managed to squeeze in a few words and asked why she thought so.

"What's there to write about? What does she think she has to say that anyone cares about, anyway?"

That's when it hit me.

I don't blog for others. I blog for me. (I can be selfish that way.)

I never thought about it until my kind and wonderful neighbor sparked the notion. I don't blog because I actually think anyone out there reads what I write - although we all found out that in fact they do when malicious co-workers who live on drama share your blog with the college president, didn't we? Which reminds me, I saw the little twit at a festival last weekend and had a surprising emotional reaction. Rather than wanting to split her lip, I felt sorry for her. She's still trapped in that world of unappreciative, condescending bureaucrats, sucking the very life from her worthless,black soul while I'm happily writing and tooling around in me wee boat. Karma will get you every time.

Back to my point; I don't post because I think you're on the edge of your seat about my most recent thought. (Although I don't know why you wouldn't be.) I blog because...well, because I want to. If I don't get this stuff out of my head then it rumbles around in there and takes up space that could be used for other things.

What things? I don't know, Stop interrupting. This is my blog.

I didn't bother to try to enlighten my neighbor regarding my realization. It would have been lost on her. Besides, she was already onto another topic. I think she was belittling someone's teenage daughter for not being athletic. A heart of gold, that one has. Actually, I should sincerely thank her some day; she's given me so much material for my writing...and now she's enlightened me about why I blog!






1 comment:

  1. I have heard many folks say the same thing about blogging including myself. I still feel that way. We look back at the blog regularly to see what we were doing at any point in the last nine years.

    It is nice knowing that others read it also:)

    ReplyDelete